Saturday, November 16, 2013

ALL IN 24 HOURS



Ten o’clock, Thursday night, the phone rings. It’s our social worker, “She picked you guys.”  WHAT? “She picked you.” YOU’RE KIDDING, RIGHT? SHE LOOKED AT OTHER PROFILES TOO, RIGHT? Her response, “Yes, she picked you to adopt her baby.” Pure shock set it. I didn’t scream, I didn’t cry, I didn’t have a big smile on my face. Shock. I asked a dozen questions to our social worker of where we go from here. Texas. After ending my call with the social worker, I emailed the Texas agency to see when, where, how. By ten-fifteen I’m at Stefan’s bedside shining my bright phone in his face with the picture of the baby that will likely soon be ours. He swats my phone and indicates “That’s really bright”. I softly mention that we got chosen and we are waiting to hear from the other agency to see how we move forward. He rolls back to sleep. I rush down stairs to research how to quickly find funding for adoption, what do we pack to since it’s not a hospital bag, but still bringing home a little one. Stefan wonders down the stairs, he can’t sleep. God is good.


Back up-let’s start at the beginning:

Thursday, four o’clock, a text message came in from our social worker. She had a profile showing offer for us. A healthy baby, born just under a week ago. We had very limited time to pray and think about having our profile shown since the birth mom said she would sign (giving up parental rights) when she picked a family. Our agency works different than some others. Some give the potential adoptive parents a week to decide, our agency usually requests an answer somewhere between 45 minutes and 6 hours. Deep breath, time to pray, called Stefan. He would be home soon, so we could discuss this together. Together we thought, we don’t have hardly enough money to bring this baby home, but we knew we could get a bank loan and good family friends have offered to loan us some money. Five o’clock, we took the plunge, we texted our social worker back to have our profile shown. God is good. We trust that He will provide, always and forever. 
We know we cannot do this without Him. 

Our day was winding down around 9 that night…. almost. Gracie was asleep, Stefan was just falling asleep, and I finished praying for this birth mother and the baby. My good friend sent me, earlier that day, a blog with great suggestions of how to pray through an adoption. Check it out here: http://redemptivehomemaking.com/2013/09/adoption-praying-while-you-wait.html
 
With this baby being born, we could be a family of four by this weekend. For that to happen all the pieces of the puzzle have to fit in place. The first one, of course, was that the birth mother had to pick our family. Nine-fifty, our social worker sends a picture of the baby. I see that it’s a picture and I am hesitant to open it. My phone sits next to me with a blinking message indication. Should I look at the picture? What if I get attached? It’s just a picture, right? What if she doesn’t pick us? 

Fast forward:

Two o’clock, Friday morning. I finally make it up to bed. It takes me well over an hour to fall asleep since my brain is thinking a mile a minute. I try to quiet my head and pray for guidance and a good night sleep. Six a.m. comes quickly! Gracie is awake and ready to start the day. My mind quickly moves towards the little baby that is in Texas and the momma that has a big decision to make. I pray for a smooth day with lots to do and get into place before we travel. The Texas agent has not contacted me yet, so I don’t know when we go, that is, if we go. We need confirmation before we travel that the birth mom has signed. Finally at ten o’clock I get a response from the Texas agent. She answers my questions, but we still don’t have the big answer, will/when she sign? Will it be today, tomorrow, not at all? Saying she will sign and actually signing is a big step. A huge decision, one that I will never be able to fully understand. 

Stefan and I are diligently searching our phones and computers for flights, or drive time, houses to rent, finding a vehicle large enough for our growing family. We communicated to a very few close family members and friends of our current plans. They pray for us and help us make decisions. We buy three one-way plane tickets. With the unknown of how long it takes the state to finalize paperwork, we can’t be sure when we will be coming home with our new child, but we know God is good.

The quiet moments of the day are few. But when they are there, I pray. Praising God that his plan is perfect. Thanksgiving that he is growing our hearts for loving this child. Comfort and protection, because with our gain, it is a loss for the birth momma. 

We book our house we will be renting since it might be up to ten days that we are there. My mother is traveling with us to take care of Gracie while giving us time to bond with baby and to have several meetings with the birth mom. Stefan rents a vehicle, we sign a loan document at the bank. I pick up baby clothes from a friend, cash from another friend, and drop the dogs off at the dog sitter. 

I’m home by seven-thirty. The house is mess. We haven’t packed. I haven’t eaten anything but a hot dog all day and quickly consume tortilla soup. I pick up Gracie’s room and get all of her clothes she needs to be gone for the next week to ten days. Since we are renting a home, we have laundry access, so traveling with less is okay. Put Gracie to bed, Stefan makes some coffee and we start. Full speed, we clean up the entire house, pack all the things we would need for a new baby, pack Gracie’s clothes, toys, and things to entertain her. Last thing on my list is to pack my clothes and essentials. Stefan starts putting the luggage, carseats, and stroller in to the car. We are still waiting for the call, text or email that birth mom signed. If she doesn’t sign tonight, we will be on the plane early tomorrow morning heading to Texas before the birth mom would even have a chance to sign. I named it flying by faith. I put the last items in the suitcase and push it against the wall. I walk into the bathroom to get my pajamas on and get ready for bed. 

Ten o’clock, Friday night. The phone rings. A number I do not know, but I know I should answer it. It’s the agent from Texas. She has a warm voice, but her speech has already been prepared. She tells me the mother has chosen to parent. Still, God is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment